Archives and Records

Sacramental Certificate Requests

Sacramental information is always recorded at the church where the sacrament was performed. Once a parish is no longer open, all sacramental registers are transferred to the Diocese Archives & Records Office and are under the authority of the Chancellor, as per the Diocesan Sacramental Records Ownership and Access Policy.

We continue to care for these records like a parish would, updating sacramental notations and issuing certificates. The following is a list of sacramental registers held by the Diocesan Archives & Records Management Office:

  • Bishop's Confirmation Register, 1947-1969 (includes confirmations performed on GA military bases)
  • Camp Villa Marie, Savannah
  • Camp Wheeler, Macon
  • St. Patrick's Parish, Augusta
  • St. Patrick's Parish, Savannah
  • Immaculate Conception Parish, Augusta
  • Most Pure Heart of Mary Parish/St. Mary's Parish, Savannah
  • Nativity of Our Lord Parish, Savannah
  • Sacred Heart Parish, Augusta
  • St. Stanislaus Chapel, Vineville/Macon, 1888-1912
  • Willacoochie Missions, 1923-1937

Please send sacramental notations for the parishes listed above to the Diocesan Archives & Records Office, Attention: Sacramental Notations.

Requesting Sacramental Certificates

You may require a sealed sacramental certificate with notations for a continuation of your sacraments (for first communion, confirmation, marriage, or to be the sponsor of a sacrament) or for proof of identity. To request certificates from an open Diocesan Parish, please contact the parish directly.

The Archives & Records Management Office responds to requests from closed Diocesan Parishes. Please complete a Sacramental Certificate Request Form and mail it to us with a photocopy of a valid id (driver's license, passport, etc.). We will not release certificates until we have those two items in hand and there is no administrative fee for the request.

You may only request your own sacraments unless you are a legal guardian or have power of attorney. Please allow 2-4 weeks for a response.

Please note that the Archives & Records Department will not honor any requests for sacramental certificates from third parties other than parishes or Diocesan officials (parents, spouses, friends, etc.) for persons of the age of majority (18 or older).

If you are a parish or Diocesan Official (Chancellor, Marriage Tribunal, etc.) requesting a sealed sacramental certificate for a continuation of Church sacraments, you may request one using the Sacramental Certificate Request Form. No identification or fee is necessary as long as the certificate is mailed directly to the parish.

If you or a family member were active military when you received any sacraments on a US military base in South or Middle Georgia (such as Ft. Benning, Columbus; Ft. Gordon, Augusta; Ft. Stewart/Hunter Army Airfield, Hinesville/Savannah; Moody Air Force Base, Valdosta; Robins Air Force Base, Warner Robins; US Marine Logistics Supply Base, Albany; and Naval Submarine Base, Kings Bay) those records are kept by the Archdiocese for Military Services. Their website has instructions on how to request sacramental certificates.

Sacraments for non-active military performed at base chapels are recorded at the closest parish. Please contact the Archives & Records Office for help obtaining a sacramental certificate for these circumstances.

Director of Archives & Records Management

Stephanie Braddy, CA


Pray for us.