Skip to main content

Diocean Coat of Arms

The coat of arms of the Diocese of Savannah consists of a cross of red (gules) on a background of silver (argent). The cross is that of Saint George, Patron of England and of King George II, under whom the Colony of Georgia was founded and for whom it was named in 1733. The four blue (azure) stars or "mullets" signify that Georgia was the fourth state to ratify the Constitution of the United States. The rose of gold (or) in the center of the cross is the Cherokee rose, the state flower of Georgia. It is also associated with the Biblical Rose of Sharon and the Blessed Virgin Mary, the "Mystical Rose."

Coats of arms are the traditional "logos" of individuals and institutions. They arose in France in the twelfth century out of the need for soldiers to identify themselves by armorial shields, as their faces were obscured by helmets and their bodies by suits of armor.

The armorial bearings of a diocesan bishop consist of the arms of his jurisdiction "impaled" with his personal coat of arms. This custom of combining the two is meant to show the spiritual unity of the bishop and his diocese, the shepherd and his flock.

FaLang translation system by Faboba